Congrats you're engaged! (Or maybe you're not engaged, but thinking you might be soon) Once you get over the shock of your new fiancée status, the big planning begins, and your first act as a newly engaged couple might be to take your engagement photos.
1. Do you even want Engagment Photos? Speak to your other half and have a clear picture. Getting your Engagment Pictures is a great oportunity to catch moment between being a couple and taking big step into marridge. We suggest sitting down with your man and showing him 3 of your favorite engagement sessions that we've shot to give him an idea of what he’s about to experience!
2. Think of your engagement photo session as a trial for the wedding. It’s a great way to test the hair styles you have in mind and conveying them to your makeup artist before your special day. Having a sneak peek, allows you to get acquainted with the procedures and makes it easier for your wedding day.
3. Find great Wedding / Engagement photographer by doing good research. Look through each photographer’s galleries to get a sense of their style. Also, think about how much budget did you allocate for your photoshoot? It really depends on how much these photos meant to you. Think beyond the engagement photos, and remember this is most likely the person who will be by your side through your wedding day too. It's very important to connect with your wedding photographer.
4. Think about the whole setup: your location, the time of day, and what you would like to be doing in the photos. We love when our couples choose a location that is meaningful to them ( place where you met? where you got engaged? your favourite coffeshop?). Sometimes couple set up scenarios for their engagement sessions that are more than just hanging out and looking adorable. Some fun ideas would be a camping out session, sailing, at home, surfing, making pancakes, washing your dog, planning your wedding. The possibilties are endless. It is fun when couples really get into the session and make it their own.
5. You only really need an hour-long session.
Plan your engagement session for the early morning or evening. Good lighting is key to looking your best and creating a beautiful photo, and there is a time called Golden Hour/ Blue Hour.
6. Don't overthink it. Go with the flow.
Don’t worry about feeling awkward or weird being photographed… If you trust your photographer you will get some amazing photos to treasure forever!
7. If you have a strong vision, convey that to your photographer.
No photographer is going to be able to exactly replicate the images you found on Pinterest. However, when we arrived at the photoshoot, you can show your photographer a few of your inspiration images so they will get some idea of what you are looking for. Romantic, whimsical, funny, playful. You want to get a wide variety! Engagement photography might be fun!
8. Wear casual, but comfy clothes and don't forget your engagement ring.
Complement each other, but don't match. You'll want to avoid anything neon, lest you look like a hot, blinking sign. Choose pastels, cool colors, and neutral tones. Once you have an idea of what colors you'll be wearing in your engagement photos, consider how that color will translate throughout the entire collection of photos. You want to create synergy, rather than have the final result look like a random collection of images. Stick with two outfits.
9. Get printing rights to images when you book. That's very important. Then you can print your pictures whenever and whereever you want.
10. If you're planning to wear makeup, use products formulated for photography.
Styled hair and professional makeup application reads SO well on camera. Sometimes your normal day to day makeup routine just doesn't show up on camera how you want it to and you need a bit more. Professional makeup artists know the right amount of makeup that will photograph beautifully and make your natural features POP. This will leave you feeling extra confident for your time in front of the camera. As a quick tip, plan your trial run for your makeup on the day of your e-sesh. You'll be all dolled up for your session and will also see how your makeup wears throughout the day AND how it photographs. That way, you can make any changes you need to for your wedding day so you can feel COMPLETELY confident as you say "I do!"
And most important... Have tons of fun!
As a wedding photographers we really like to connect with our couples. We are chilled and easy-going during our sessions. We have the best job in entire world, connecting with other people during the best time of their life is simply breathtaking. If you are planning Engagement or Prewedding Photoshoot in UK or Europe, please get in touch we guarantee we will make you smile and have tons of fun. We would love to be part of your day! -
Urban Photo Lab
Manchester Wedding Photographer | UK Wedding Photographer | Destination Wedding Photography